Based in Slovenia
October 19, 2023
The Gap is a narrative first-person psychological thriller in which one man’s struggle to get his life and family back together is explored through traversing parallel realities, and the memories hidden within.
The Gap is the first video game we brought to production as LABEL THIS. The game started out in 2016 as a BA Thesis project at the Academy of Fine Arts and Design (Ljubljana, Slovenia) with the thought that traversing the multiverse would be a great base mechanic for solving a mystery.
We explored the idea of déjà vu sensation equaling a quantum jump, which also turned out to be an intriguing scientific theory in real life. Moreover, since déjà vu is memory based the game started revolving around one’s memory.
As artists and designers, we put great emphasis on the visuals of our work. For The Gap, we strived towards stylized realism, employing certain artistic approaches, which included focusing on shapes over textures, and making analogue art pieces.
- Use a unique mechanic – déjà vu – to traverse the multiverse.
- Explore parallel realities set across different times.
- Enjoy visually striking and detailed environments.
- Find objects that open up memories, and solve the puzzles within to collect them.
- Immerse yourself in a complex, mind-bending story and unfold the mystery.
- Experience the story through the eyes of a neuroscientist who’s slowly losing his mind, trying to get his family and life back together.
- Decide how you’d like the story to end.
Launch Trailer YouTube
Mia's Trailer YouTube
Gameplay Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Future Games Show Summer 2023 Selection"
- "Future Games Show Summer 2022 Selection"
- "Epic MegaGrant 2021 Recipient"
- "A.MAZE/BERLIN 2021 Honourable mention"
- "WN Dev Contest 2021 Quarterfinals"
- "SpielFabrique Acceleration Programme 2021"
- "DigiTelling 2020/21 Programme"
- "This is a clever and engaging thriller, brought to life with believable characters and a very grounded approach to science fiction that we can really get behind."
- Kim Snaith, GameSpew
- "The Gap is a masterpiece that deserves all the accolades it has received and more. If you’re looking for a game that will not only entertain but also leave a lasting impact, The Gap is an absolute must-play."
- Will, Rectify Gaming
- "The Gap is a lovely, thoughtful game that has a fascinating story. Travelling through various memories and timelines is brilliant and never feels dull."
- Gareth Brierley, The Xbox Hub
Request Press Copy
We are afraid this developer has not upgraded their presskit() to use distribute(). For security purposes, this form has been disabled.
Available on Steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/2645140/The_Gap__Soundtrack/.
About LABEL THIS
LABEL THIS is a two-person indie studio from Slovenia, co-founded by Jan Gortnar and Sara Lukanc, primarily for the purpose of developing and distributing The Gap.
More information on LABEL THIS, our logo & relevant media are available here.
About Crunching Koalas
Crunching Koalas is a Warsaw-based boutique publisher and porting studio that focuses on bringing exceptional games to players across all platforms. They have worked on many recognisable and critically acclaimed games (Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales, Darkwood and This War of Mine are just a few).
The Gap Credits
3D art, programming, music
2D art, graphic design, writing